Listen to the audio here | Right Click to Download
I recently had a Skype chat with my friend Kelly O’Laughlin, whom many Haven members will be familiar with. She is the founder and presenter of The Highly Sensitive Person Podcast and author of A Highly Sensitive Person’s Life: Stories & advice for those who experience the world intensely.
I wanted to chat with Kelly about podcasting especially as a highly sensitive person because I was fascinated to see if we shared any of the same struggles. It turns out we do, and that we also share similar attitudes and feelings about the amazing medium a podcast provides.
I will also be sharing this interview in the Sheep Dressed Like Wolves podcast this week but wanted to give you first listen here in the Haven as a bit of bonus content.
With podcasting constantly growing in popularity as a platform it felt like a great opportunity to talk about how it can be a great tool for HSPs and introverts as well. It gives us the chance to speak to people without being truly aware of who is listening.
You will hear how both Kelly and I share many of the same experiences. And why we felt compelled to start podcasts in order to speak to and encourage other highly sensitive people. Podcasting is such a great way to connect with people because it is close and personal and something I hope many HSPs will continue to explore.
In this interview you’ll find out:
- The challenges HSPs face when launching and maintaining a podcast, but why it’s ultimately worth it
- Where Kelly comes up with topics to talk about and how you can develop an endless pool of ideas
- The surprising reason for Kelly’s amazing ability to keep episodes short and to the point
- Why Kelly chose to bring interview guests onto her show and the challenges she faced doing so
- How she copes with criticism and negative feedback, even when it’s hurtful and personal
- The steps Kelly takes to generate income from her podcast without compromising the integrity of the show
- Alternative views on using video and photos of yourself when building an online presence
- Our best advice to HSPs and introverts who are thinking of starting a podcast but haven’t yet made the leap